Saint Bernard Catholic Academy primarily serves Catholic students in Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, and other surrounding areas. Students from other geographic areas are admitted as space allows. Non-Catholic students are admitted as space allows.
Registration begins in late January for the following September. Please call 718-241-6040 to find out the exact date.
An open house and school tour is scheduled for the last Tuesday of January in each calendar year. To arrange a private tour, please call the academy principal, Mrs. Kathleen Buscemi, at 718-241-6040 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Jr. PreK / Nursery – child must be age 3 by December 31st
– PreK ? child must be age 4 by December 31st
– Kindergarten ? child must be age 5 by December 31st
– Grades 1 to 8 ? child must have successfully completed the previous grade level
– Completion of the Registration Form or fill out the following online application
– Submission of the Registration Fee (Parental Agreement, tuition and fees)
– Submission of the childs birth certificate
– Submission of the childs Baptismal certificate
– Submission of the childs record of immunizations
– Submission of the previous report card (Grades 1 to 8 only)
Saint Bernard Catholic Academy follows all NYS Common Core Curriculum Standards. In addition, we follow those set forth by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. In addition to the core subjects of Religion, English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science, we offer many special content subjects. All students receive instruction in music and art on a weekly basis. Physical education class is held weekly. All students visit the technology lab, science lab, and library weekly. Instruction in Spanish is offered to all students.
Students in PreK receive training in Visual Arts, which helps them to develop into critical thinkers. Our 1st and 2nd graders participate in a Step Dance Program, which reinforces the patterns and number sense crucial to math development. The Artists in Residency Program works with Grades 4, 6, and 8 to develop the students’ talents in filmmaking and playwriting. All students participate in the Latin and Greek Root Word Program, which furthers their vocabulary development and reading comprehension. A dedicated writing program has been instituted in Grades 1 to 4. Accelerated students in Grades 5, 6, and 7 participate in a higher level humanities class. Regents classes in Earth Science and Math 9 are available for students in Grade 8.
Saint Bernard Catholic Academy insures that students who have an IESP or a 504 plan have all the necessary accommodations to be successful students.
Aid may be available to your family through the Catholic Foundation of Brooklyn and Queens. To apply, visit tads.com and submit an application.